Business cards: why they’re still the best way to say hello
If you haven’t ordered any business cards for your private practice yet, then what are you waiting for? Business cards are still one of the best ways to introduce yourself to potential clients, expand your network and promote your therapy business.
Better still, there are simple ways to design and print professional-looking cards yourself, without spending a fortune. You can do it today.
And if you already have business cards, ask yourself these questions:
- do they have the right information on them?
- are they memorable (or will people politely take one and stuff it into a drawer the first chance they get?)
There are some tips for making a memorable business card at the bottom of this article, but here are some basics:
Colour: keep things clean, simple and elegant with a white business card
Thickness: cards are typically printed on 350gsm (grams per square metre) paper
Size: standard business cards are usually 70mm x 28mm
Details: be sure to include your name, professional title, phone number, business address, email address and website URL
Do you really need a business card?
It’s tempting to think that you don’t need a business card these days. Especially if you have a website that advertises your services online. You might already be doing good business without them.
But don’t underestimate the importance of having a physical calling card. It’s not just an invitation to get in touch, but a physical reminder of who you are and the services you can provide.
Business cards are convenient and affordable. They give a professional impression of your private practice and will also act as a signpost to your contact details - your website address (URL), business address and phone number.
If somebody gives you a business card, wouldn’t you like to be able to give them one back? You never know when you’re going to meet a prospective client, and it’s important to make a good first impression. A business card is the best way to do that.
How to make a business card
Creating your own business card doesn’t need to be difficult. You don’t need to commission a designer or hire a printer. Online services such as moo.com or vistaprint.co.uk will do it all for you. You can design your own business card or customise one of the many pre-designed templates provided.
All you need to include is: your name, professional title, your company name, what you do, your business address, phone number, email address and your website URL.
Of course, your business card can also convey the spirit of your private practice through the colours you choose and its look-and-feel. There’s no such thing as a perfect, magical design that fits every type of business.
However, there are some things you can do to make your business card more memorable – just pick and choose those you like best from the ideas below.
Some tips for creating a memorable business card
1. Use an online service to create your own card and minimise costs.
2. Go for a bold, compelling design that stands out.
3. Including a photo of yourself could help connect your name to your face.
4. Vertical text formatting will often catch the eye.
5. Choose a text style or font that’s easy to read.
6. Make use of the back of your business card - add your logo or slogan or a few details about your service.
7. Search for design inspiration. Take a look at the more adventurous business card designs here.
8. If you don’t want to use an online service to design your cards, you can always hire a designer to create something truly unique.